Saturday, December 22, 2007

What the Pun?

If you've noticed, the title for my blog here is no longer 'I eat, therefore I ham'.







If you've never understood it in the first place, let me do it justice by explaining how it came about.

Rene Descartes, a famous philosopher once said 'Cogito ergo sum' which from Latin means 'I think, therefore I am'. He famously used the phrase in one of his works to, uh. . .to keep it short and very simple, he used it to convince himself that he existed. Or something to that effect.

On my side of the coin, I aptly replaced 'think' with 'eat' since I'd prefer to eat than to think anyway. It sort of reflects the Malaysian in me as well (If it wasn't obvious enough for you to notice, Malaysians love their food).

And the ham part was plain silly. My name is Jonathan Mah and most people refuse to utter anything more that two syllables when calling me, so it was cut (very) short to JonMah (no space summore!). So that's how the whole 'Hamnoj' thing came about, it's actually my name spelled backwards.

And back where we left off. I think therefore I am. As you can probably guess, AM became HAM and as they (WHO ARE THEY, ANYWAY?) say, the rest is history.

But more recently I've renamed it 'Veni, Vidi, Vedere', as you can see up there. It's another pun, a play on Julius Caesar's famous quotation 'Veni, Vidi, Vici' which means 'I came, I saw, I conquered'.

'Edere' is eat. Haha, yes, you guessed it! All the words being in first person perfect present tense, I assumed 'Vedere' would mean 'I eat'. Not the most grammatically sound pun around, but it should work. Typical Malaysian ingenuity, eh?

And so, welcome everyone, to the new hamnoj.blogspot.com.

I came, I saw, I ate.

No comments: