Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Pain in the DNS

Here's a picture of me doing something I don't normally do.


















Just in case you're wondering what I'm doing, I'll tell you.

I'M SNIFFING MY ROUTER! RAWRRRR!

WHY?????


Because it STINKS!!!!
















Okay okay, I'm not sniffing it BECAUSE it stinks, I'm sniffing it to FIND OUT if it stinks.

And YES! IT STINKS!!!! )(*$#%)($#&%**#$*)#$

Do yourself a favour and NEVER NEVER buy a Belkin router. It gave me endless headaches for a year, and even after changing it for brand new units a few times. Seriously, I don't know why I didn't go out and buy a new one any sooner.

Yesterday I got myself a spiffy new Linksys WRT54GL, which can be custom flashed with third-party firmwares! No more cheap stock firmware! DD-WRT, Tomato and the like!

Before I scare you off with too many technical terms, here are pictures to keep you happy.


















That's Tomato, the firmware thing I was talking about. And it comes in Pink, so it's less intimidating.
























That's the brand new Linksys, although I have to admit it's ugly (the bad kind of ugly, like Michael Jackson kind of ugly) next to the old Belkin.

edit: Proof that Michael Jackson is ugly.

I haven't sniffed it yet, but it's been working PERFECTLY since yesterday, and I haven't had to restart it since. Honestly, I've forgotten what it's like to stream a whole YouTube video without getting cut off and having to refresh the page a gazillion times over.

Say no to capitalism! Buy Linksys!

Woooooooooooooooooooooo!



Postscript:

This post was not endorsed by wither company in either way. However, if you are from Linksys reading this and are considering it, do drop me a message :D

No comments: